T! True Traffic Tribulations
Disclaimer: These are fairly lame photos, but you might like to note that many were taken WHILE I was riding my bicycle. And for those of you that know my biking abilties, that is a saying quite a bit...
Typical traffic, at any given time of the day, on pretty much any street. The little guy below was really excited about being in a photo!

To get on the bus you must RUSH the door and hope that the bus driver pauses there long enough to get on. Getting off is kind of a similar process

Like I have said before, anyone is allowed on the road. Often you see people just walking along with the traffic.

The following pictures are my favorite. I am constantly in awe of the things people can carry on their bike or moto. Its incredible! Please note the man with GOLDFISH on his bike!




Another interesting thing is the clothing of choice for many people. Because in Viet Nam it is more attractive to have lighter skin, women cover themselves from head to toe, even in the killer heat! They have long sleeve shirts that have hand coverings, will wear long socks with flip flops, or these rain coats like things. They are very serious about avoiding the sun light. I think I would melt... 
And finally, because they are just a cute little bunch, here is the family I am living with (and also my boss). Families often go out together all on one moto. Four is the most I have seen, but there are rumors of more...
(From left: Lucas, Derek, Chase, Ana)
And that was just a small glimpse into the crowded, hectic
and always entertaining roads of Hanoi!
PS Calah has some fun photos of our weekend if you are interested...
Alicia,
ReplyDeleteI too am horrible at riding the bike, and am in awe of your ability to use it regularly as a mode of transportation! Normally I think of it as recreation...then I do a few laps, get bored (and by that I mean tired and wheezing because I'm out of shape) and head back to the garage.
I miss you, lady! Thanks for keeping us all updated.
Erin May