Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Communications Officer-that's me!

A very good friend left today for Costa Rica for a year to teach Math at an International School. I was able to spend some time with her yesterday running errands and packing while also mutually freaking out about us both leaving so soon. Something that came up for both of us was the fact that we seem to forget that we are not only moving, but also beginning a new, full time job! You may wonder, how do you forget that? Isn't it the reason you are going? Yes, yes it is. Yet it seems to be overshadowed by moving to Viet Nam and the unknown that accompanies that. But, in an attempt to remind myself that in just a few weeks I am beginning my first post-college full time job, I thought I would share with you what I am doing:


Communications Officer (a pretty official sounding title, right?!), MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) Viet Nam

Assignment Description:

This is a newly created position (the visa for the original position was not approved. This one is similar but not quite the same. I wonder how it being a new position will affect my experience). The focus will be the creation of reports, articles, and stories related to MCC's work in Vietnam. Much of the work will be listening to partners and staff, and developing materials related to this (it sounds like I will be recording people's stories and experiences). The goal of this position is advocacy; keeping the larger MCC constituency informed about Vietnam is important. Also, part of the work will be assisting the regional Peace Coordinator. Max Ediger a long-time MCC Asia worker, has an interfaith bridge building portfolio with Christian Churches of Asia that includes the School of Peace among other activities.

Duties:

     Writing and editing reports, articles, speeches, and stories for publication or presentations

     Assist staff in editing of reports and proposals as requested

     Regular visits to project sites

     Relate to other members of the MCC Vietnam team

     Assist in logistical support, organizing, and planning for regional interfaith conferences and meetings.

     Assist Peace Coordinator as necessary


That is my job! Truthfully, it seems a little vague to me, but I think it's better that way. I know that I will go and have a job and something useful to do and I will enjoy it. What else do I need to know?!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realllly love your job! It sounds so great! I'm glad you posted that, because even if it's maybe vague, now I feel like I get what you're and really that sounds like a super perfect job for you, assisting a peace coordinator!! LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my deleted comment is funny to me. i'm not sure if you read it before i deleted it, but it basically said that you are great and your job sounds great and i know you will do a fantastic job! :)

    ReplyDelete